Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble! Great for developing fine motor skills and hand eye coordination.
You will need…
- Wooden spoons
- Plastic tweezers
- Orange lentils
- Black mice
- Black bats
- Orange and black mini pompoms
- Black and orange discs, counters or pebbles (from your maths manipulatives kit)
- Mini-pumpkins or pumpkin shapes cut out of carrots
- Any other spooky props you can think of
- Battery powered tea light candles
- A big cauldron
- A large black tray (could set up in 5-6 black shallow F trays grouped together around a cauldron, that way each child has their own tray to pick items from)
What to do…
- Take four Gratnells Art Trays (or Shallow F1s) and set them into a square. Place a black Gratnells F2 Tray in the centre; this will act as your cauldron.
- In the trays surrounding the cauldron, add some cotton wool and lentils as a base. Spread some spooky props around the trays.
- Add some water to the cauldron and then carefully pour in your dry ice. It will smoke and spread out across the surrounding trays creating a fog across all the items.
- Use tweezers or spoons to find different items and place them into the cauldron to make a potion.
- Do you know any spells to say while you stir your potion?
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any activities with children. Take particular care when working with dry ice; this should only be handled by an adult and should only be handled while wearing gloves. Please research safe usage, storage and disposal of dry ice before purchasing and planning to use in lessons or demonstrations.