Sand and water tray play
Looking for an easy to prepare and quick to set up activity for a play time session? This sand and water play #WhatsInMyTray activity is perfect!
You will be able to:
- develop fine motor skills by using a fishing net and spades.
You will need (per group)
- 2 x Deep Gratnells trays (F2)
- EDX Maths manipulatives
- Ocean or land animal figurines or small toys
What to do:
- Take two deep (F2) Gratnells trays and place them on the floor or on a classroom table.
- Fill one of the two trays with water.
- Fill the second of the two trays with playing sand.
- Add some different manipulatives to each tray that the children can play with.
This is a good activity for either wet play or at lunch times.
Other things to try…
- Try using other learning resources in the trays for the children to continue their learning.
- Share photographs of your sand and water fun on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
EYFS- Development Matters- Shape, space and measure- Talk to children, as they play with water or sand, to encourage them to think about when something is full, empty or holds more.
EYFS- Development Matters- Shape, space and measure- Vary the volume and capacity equipment in the sand, water and other play areas to maintain interest.
EYFS- Development Matters- Shape, space and measure- Provide different sizes and shapes of containers in water play, so that children can experiment with quantities and measures.
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities with children.