Measuring with Non-Standard Units
This is a fun activity to get children to measure different objects found around the home. They will use non-standard units of measure as a way of grasping the new method. Once your child is familiar with this they can of course move onto using standard measuring tools like a ruler etc.
- Maths (KS1)
- Quick and easy to make at home
What to do:
- Find some objects that you could use to measure with (shapes, counters, stones, pasta shapes).
- Gather a selection of objects that you can measure the height of.
- One at a time, pick the object and then the unit of measure.
- How many cubes long is the pencil?
- Discuss what you find with a partner or adult.