Hand-Painted Snowman Baubles
Get crafty with your class this festive season and hand paint some baubles! They make perfect personal gifts for friends and family of the children or are a great way to decorate your classroom with cute keepsakes. We made snowmen but, for a challenge, you could try Santa Claus and his reindeer.
You will be able to:
- Design and create a Christmas decoration using appropriate materials.
You will need…
- 2 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells Trays
- 1 x 4 section insert for organising equipment and isolating paint
- 1 x Large bauble – large enough for the child to print their hands-on
- 1 x Small pot of white paint
- 1 x Pack of Sharpies/marker pens
- 1 x Tube of biodegradable glitter
- 1 x Pack of festive coloured pom poms
- 1 x piece of black felt
- 1 x pot of PVA glue
- 1 x Scissors
- Optional additional decorations to create a Santa Claus or reindeer:
- Red paint
- Red felt
- Cotton wool
- Googly eyes
- Brown paint
- Red pom poms
- Cardboard antlers
- Organise all the materials into different sections of a 4-section tray insert and fill the second tray with baubles.
- Place the tray in the centre of the table so it is accessible to participants.
What to do:
- Cut some snowman hats out of felt and put them into one section of the 4-section tray insert.
- Select a bauble and set it aside.
- Dip your hand into the white paint and place around the bauble allowing the paint to transfer. Ensure your fingers are widely spread as you’ll be making them into snowmen soon.
- Sprinkle some glitter over the went paint and hang to dry.
- Once the paint is dry, decorate your snowmen adding faces, hats and scarves and details with the pens.
- Hang the baubles up to dry and when they are set, you can hang them on your tree.
- Take photographs to capture each stage of your work.
Other things to try…
- Try making a Santa Claus or a reindeer design on additional baubles.
- Give your baubles as a gift to friends and family.
- Share photographs of your Christmas creations on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.