Finding a half
Are you learning about fractions? Try this What’s in my tray? activity to find half of a group of objects.
- Maths (KS1)
- Fractions of objects
- Simple to create at home
What to do:
- Find a selection of objects
- Get two empty containers, each of which represents one half.
- To find a half, simply share the objects one by one into each of the containers.
- When there are no objects left, count how many are in each container.
- Each container should have the same number of objects if they have been shared equally.
- One container is equal to one half (1/2).
- In our picture above, 1/2 of 18 is equal to 9. There were 18 objects in total and then in each container there were 9 objects.
- Can you find halves of different objects in your home?