Festive Street Scene
A translucent Gratnells tray is the perfect shell for creating a wintery, festive scene with bright lights and glitter. Share yours with us on social using the #WhatsInMyTray hashtag!
You will need…
- A translucent Jumbo (F3) Gratnells tray or Extra Deep (F25) Gratnells tray
- Two Shallow (F1) Gratnells trays with inserts for organisation of resources
- Black card
- Cotton wool balls
- Spray snow (optional)
- PVA glue
- LED lights
- Paintbrush/glue spreader
What to do…
- Cut out some shapes of buildings from the black card and separate them into a Gratnells tray insert. Be sure to vary the shapes, sizes and types of buildings that you make
- Using another Gratnells insert, organise the remainder of your resources.
- Add glitter or decorations to your buildings and secure them to the outside of your tray using sticky tape making a street scene
- Add cotton wool around the buildings to create the illusion of snow
- Once your scene is arranged on the outside of the tray, fill it with tinsel
- Add some LED fairy lights to the tinsel mix. Battery powered lights would work best but any would work as long as they’re LED and DO NOT get hot.
- Tape some tinsel around the top of the tray to continue the illusion of the snowy street scene
- Add some spray snow around the tray and add winter sequins to make snowflakes
- Turn off the lights in the room and turn on the fairy lights to get the full effect of the snowy scene in a tray!
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any activities with children. When using fairy lights, use LED lights that pose a lower risk and do not get hot.