Festive Street Scene
A translucent Gratnells tray is the perfect shell for creating a wintery, festive scene with bright lights and glitter. Share yours with us on social using the #WhatsInMyTray hashtag!
You will be able to:
- Create a festive street scene.
- Select a range of appropriate media and materials to create your design.
You will need (per group of 5):
- 1 x Translucent Jumbo (F3) Gratnells tray or Extra Deep (F25) Gratnells tray
- 2 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells trays
- 1 x 8-section Gratnells insert
- 1 x 6-section Gratnells insert
- Black card
- 1 x Tube of biodegradable glitter
- 10 x Cotton wool balls
- 1 x Can of spray snow (optional)
- 1 x String of tinsel
- 1 x Small pot of PVA glue
- 1 x String of low power LED lights
- 2 x Paintbrush/glue spreader
- 2 x Scissors
- 1 x Roll of clear sticky tape
- A selection of small festive craft items to use as decorations e.g. sequins, snowflakes, beads, stickers, mini pom poms
- Organise all of your resources into the shallow trays with inserts and place in the centre of the table so it is accessible to all participants.
What to do:
- Cut out some shapes of buildings from the black card and separate them into a Gratnells tray insert. Be sure to vary the shapes, sizes and types of buildings that you make.
- Add glitter or other decorations to your buildings and secure them to the outside of the translucent tray using sticky tape to create a street scene.
- Add cotton wool around the buildings to create the illusion of snow.
- Once your scene is arranged on the outside of the tray, fill the inside of the tray with tinsel.
- Add some LED fairy lights to the tinsel mix. Battery powered lights would work best but any would work as long as they are low power LED and do not get hot.
- Tape some tinsel around the top of the tray to build the illusion of the snowy street scene.
- Add some spray snow around the tray and add winter coloured sequins to give the effect of snowflakes.
- Turn off the lights in the room and turn on the fairy lights in the tray to get the full effect of the festive street scene.
- Take photographs of your work as you go along and of the finished scene.
Other things to try…
- Add sequins as decorations to the houses.
- Use chalk to draw on the houses and street scene to add further details.
- Make additional tray scenes and place them next to each other to create an entire festive town.
- Share photographs of your creations on social media using #WhatsInMyTray
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations. When using fairy lights, use low power LED lights that do not get hot. Never leave fairy lights unattended when switched on.