Clean Mr. Twit’s Beard
Getting ready for Roald Dahl Day with your class? Check out this ‘The Twits’ inspired #WhatsInMyTray activity! Fill a #Gratnells tray with wool to make Mr. Twits’ beard & have the children clean the food items from it using tweezers, practising their fine motor skills.
You will need:
- 1 x Shallow Gratnells (F1) tray
- Brown wool
- Laminated picture of Mr Twit
- Laminated pictures of items found in Mr Twit’s beard
- Roald Dahl’s ‘The Twits’ book
- Read ‘The Twits’ in the classroom to introduce the character to the students
- Print and laminate pictures of Mr Twit and the items found in his beard
What to do:
- Tape the laminated picture of Mr Twit’s head to the back of the tray, which will act as his beard
- Fill the Gratnells tray with brown wool ensuring some is spilling out of the sides
- Hide the different laminated items with the wool creating the illusion that they’re hidden in Mr Twit’s beard
- Using tweezers, search for the different items and pull them out one by one.
Other things to try…
- Add a challenge element to the task by asking the children to find one of each of the items in Mr Twit’s beard listed in the book. This can be done by memory or with the list in front of the children.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray Activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.