Chinese Lucky Rattle Drums
In celebration of #ChineseNewYear, we’ve made some Chinese Lucky Drums using Gratnells mini trays. But even if you don’t have mini trays, you can use anything from matchboxes to cassette cases to make yours.
What you need…
- 2 F1 Gratnells trays
- 3 x 3 Gratnells insert
- Mini trays or small boxes or cartons (cassette tape cases)
- Lolly sticks
- Blue tac
- Felt tip pens
What to do…
- Cut some paper to the size of a Gratnells mini tray (or the inside of your small pot or box)
- Using Google, or an online translator, translate your chosen phrase and copy onto the small pieces of paper. We chose ‘Happy Chinese New Year’
- Secure the pieces of paper to the inside of the mini trays
- Thread some beads onto the ends of some ribbon and tie knots at either end to secure them. Once this is done, tape this to the back of your mini tray
- Feed a bell onto another piece of ribbon or string and fix to the bottom on the mini tray using tape
- Tape a lolly stick onto the back of the mini tray on top of the string and bell
- Twist the lolly stick in a circular, upright motion from left to right allowing the beaded strings to swing and hit the front and back of the mini trays.
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells What’s In My Tray Activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment and health & safety measurements prior to undertaking any of the activities with children.