Building STEM Bridges
Can you build a bridge for 10 dinosaurs? Using only the equipment in the tray, build a bridge spanning the length of the tray that will support the weight of 10 dinosaurs.
You will need…
- Thick art straws
- Cardboard tubes
- Lollypop or craft sticks
- Washi or coloured tape
- Plastic shot glasses
- Dinosaur Counters from EDX Education
- Shallow Gratnells trays and tray inserts
What to do…
- Organise your resources into a Shallow (F1) Gratnells tray. Arrange your EDX Education dinosaurs by colour and segment them in a Gratnells tray insert.
- Challenge the class with an allotted time to build a bridge spanning the length of a Shallow (F1) Gratnells tray
- Once the bridges are built, test their strength and ability to hold the weight of the EDX dinosaur counters. The challenge is to hold a minimum of 10
Some questions to ask…
- How many more dinosaurs can it hold?
- Which is the strongest and most stable bridge design?
- Can you extend the length of the bridges to reach from one tray to another?
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities with children.