This maths What’s in my tray? activity will support children to understand the method of using arrays when solving a multiplication calculation.
- Maths (KS1)
- Arrays- Multiplication
- Easy to create at home.
What to do:
- Gather a selection of objects (you could use children’s toys, milk bottle lids, cubes or anything else you have).
- Write down a multiplication calculation to solve.
- How many groups are there? How many need to go into each group?
- In our example above we have 3 groups and each has 5 lids in them.
- To find the total you have to count the total number of lids.
Challenge: Can you work out the answers to the arrays in the final picture?